Carrère House - Tourist center - 14 Rue de Paris
The Carrère house was built in 1724, at the beginning of the coffee era. At that time it was a single-storey house. The last family to settle was the Carrere family in 1905. Raphael Carrere was a major sugar merchant. He added a storey in 1908 so his five daughters would have their own room and a garage for his brand new Renault car. The iron gate and path tiles were brought from France. Side walls are covered with shakes. At the back, we can find the former kitchen, storage, bathroom and latrines.
The house was inhabited until 1988 by M. Carrere’s grand son, Yves Bedier, son of Blanche. The city bought and restored the house in 2000 for a total budget of 2 million euros. The insides can be visited (only the ground floor).